Places of Interest In and Around Ratnagiri
Birth Place of Kavi Keshavsut renowned Poet
Malgund a place two km from Ganpatipule is famous for natural
bountiful beauty. At this place Shri Krishnaji Keshav Damle, alias,
Kavi Keshavsut a revolutionary poet has his house, where he was
born. Recently a monument has been built in his memory. This monument
has become a place of pilgrimage, for the Lovers of marathi Literature.
The tourist can reach the place by auto or State transport Bus
Jaigad, a port on Konkon coastline is famous as a natural and
safe port. It is situated on the mouth of river Shastri. The fort
Jaigad is magnificent. The lighthouse and the jaigad creek is
spectacular. Inside the walls of the fort on the right is a monument
of Jaiba Mahar. The story about Jaiba is splendid. When the construction
of the fort was in progress, the arch over the main gate collapsed
for number of times. The remedy suggested was Narbali (sacrifice
of a human being). This Jaiba Mahar was ready to be the victim,
on the condition that the fort be named after him, so it is Jaigad.
The king of vijapur built this fort having twenty outwardly curved
construction (Buruj). The fort was in the custody of Kanhoji Angre
commender in chief of Chattrapati Shivaji's naval armada. In 1818
English army took over the fort. Near the main gate of the fort,
Ganesh temple is there. The fort is Situated 35 to 40 km from
Ratnagiri town. The temple of Mahamai Sonsakhli, the village deity
is situated in the dense forest near village Tavsal.
The tourist gets spellbound to see astonishing beauty of the nature
surrounding Karhateshwar Devsthan. No one could anticipate how
splendid the bounty of the nature would be there till he reaches
the place. Karhateshwar Devsthan is situated in the village Nandiwade
near the coastline 4 to 5 km from Jaigad. The temple is of wooden
structure, built during the regime of Shilaharas. In the night,
temple is closed for visitors. On the slopes of the hill by the
side of seashore between the cuttings of the hill, water springs
in small stream, throughout the year. This spring water is stored
in two small tanks for bathing purpose. Even during winter the
water is warm. One who takes bath gets fresh and energetic. Shri
Narayanbhau Jog, a Ramdasi, has described the place in following
The deity of Karhateshwar is installed at a beautiful lonely place,
at whose feet the roaring sea is there for ever.
From Jaigad this place is at 5 km distance.
Laxmikeshav of Kolisare
The temple of Laxmikeshav is situated in the dense forest on the
hills at Kolisare, Twenty centuries ago when Rashtrakut Dynasty
was ruling the place, they built number of temples of various gods
and goddesses. During the rule of Yadav dynasty, Moghals led various
invasions every where. At that time efforts were made to keep idols
at a safe and secure place, away from invasions. The idol of Laxmikeshav
is one of them. This idol was taken to Kolhapur and was kept immersed
in Rankala tank.
Shri Joshi, Vichare and Kane, the devotees from village Waravade
had a vision and they came to know about this idol. The idol was
taken out and was being brought to original place through warvade
creek in a boat. On the way, they took halt at Kolisare. Next day
morning when they were to start the journey, the idol became so
heavy that it could not be moved from the place. One resident of
Kolisare Shri Bhanuprasad Teredesai had a vision and the idol was
installed at Kolisare. The temple was built in 1510 at Kolisare
by Shri Teredesai, the keeper of the fort.
When digging started for the construction of the temple, the water
trickled from the streamlet which is flowing continuously even today.
The water of this streamlet contains medicinal attributes. It is
said this water was taken to Pawas for Swami Swaroopanand. At this
place number of trees, creepers, rivers, streamlets, hills were
found in abundance. The natures bounty attracted the man and made
him stay there forever. The surroundings of the temple are calm,
serene and a place for performing austerity. The climate is cool
and pleasant, even during summer, where number of families comes
to enjoy the holidays.
The idol of Laxmi Keshav is splendid sculpture carved out of black
marble stone, very beautiful and bright, which develops godly virtuous
feeling. The idol is five feet in height with four hands holding
conch (Shankh) chakra, Gada, Padma (lotus flower), on its right
is eagle and to the Left Laxmi and Vijay. Laxmi Keshav is family
deity of thirty-eight different family ancestors. This place is
at 50 Kms from Ratnagiri.
In the town of Ratnagiri
Birth Place of Lokmanya Tilak
One remembers the slogan given by Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak that
"Self rule is my birth right and I will achieve it." The
challenge given to British Government by Rashtrapurush, the owner
editor of Kesari (Newspaper) Lokmanya Tilak was born on 26th July
1856 in the house rented by Smt. Indirabai Gore, in the Tilak Lane
His father was a teacher. This house is declared and maintained
as a national monument. Where a full size statue has been erected.
Lokmanya stayed in this house till 1866.
Patit Pawan Temple
Swatantrya Veer Sawarkar kept in confinement in Ratnagiri by then
British Government. During those days he rendered yeomans service
to the downtrodden in the society. He worked for restoring respect
and emancipation of untouchables in the caste system. In this respect,
names of prominent personalities, that come to our mind are Mahatma
Fule, Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, the name of Veer Sawarkar
can also be associated for the social work done in Ratnagiri. His
act of keeping open the temple to untouchables was a revolutionary
act, in the conservative Ratnagiri. With the help of Shri Bhagojiseth
Keer a common dinner both for higher caste and untouchables was
arranged. The temple is situated near Swatantrya Laxmi Chowk, where
statue of Veer Sawarkar has been erected.
Fort Ratnagiri and Bhagwati Temple
By the side of seashore on the hill this fort is there. It is shaped
half Circle like horseshoe. It has experienced, Bahamani, Adilshahi,
Shivshahi and Peshwai Rulers. The area is 120 acres with sea on
all the three sides. At the end of western side stands a light house.
The hill on which the fort is situated has stone walls in a good
condition, though at some places it has collapsed. The main part
is having a Devi Bhagwati temple. A small tank and a deep well is
there. From the first day of the month Ashwin till Tenth day (Navratri)
a fair is organised. The temple is spacious and magnificent, recently
renovated. At the foot hills the Bhagwati port is there. The state
transport buses ply to the Bhagwati temple, it is very pleasant
to watch the passing ships from this temple fort.
Thiba was a king of Burma (Now Manmyar). He was not willing for
kingship, but he had to, as all his brothers got killed in the revolt,
that took place in Burma. I desired to put on saffron colour clothes,
preach and propagate, Buddhism. At the age of nineteen, he got married
to his sister and ascended the throne.
On 17th April 1886 he was dethroned by British and kept him at a
far off place Ratnagiri in isolated confinement. The king collected
the wealth and jewllery as much as possible, and had to come to
Ratnagiri, in state confinement. He was learned and an authority
on language Pali. For him the British got built in 1910-11 a palace
on the area with 25803 sq meter. The palace was 60m. by 43 m. in
area. The construction was of Laterite Stone with a roof covered
with Manglore tiles. The King Thiba used to celebrate the festival
of lights (Deepavali) with pomp and grandeur. The candle lights
brightened the Palace. Only invited could attend this function.
On 15th December 1919 Thiba died. British took over the custody
of the Palace and since 1926 it became the residence of District
Collector till 1961. Afterward government polytechnic was housed
in this palace. Presently there are hostel buildings, and the palace
is taken over by Archeological department.
This place is known as Thiba point, is at a considerable height
from Sea level from where the small Rajiwada port can be seen. This
place is famous for tourist to observe the beauty of Sunset. Near
by, All India Radio Station Building and the Residence of District
Collector is situated. The place is accessible by all types of conveyances.
Swami Swaroopanand - Pawas
Pawas, a place of pilgrimage, with beautiful natural greenery is
situated at a distance of 16 km. from Ratnagiri. Dnyanehswari by
Shree Dnyandeo has been rendered by Swami Swaroopanand of Pawas,
in 'Abhang Dnyanehswari' (a poetic from of spiritual literature),
which made him famous in Maharashtra. Swami has also rendered 'Amrutanubhav',
besides 'Amrutdhara', 'Sanjeevani gatha' and other spiritual literature
in a very easy to read and follow style for the common man - devotees.
On 15th August 1974, Swami took Samadhi. His sect of disciples is
large. In various cities of Maharashtra 'Adhyatma upasana Mandal'
has been formed by his disciples.
The devotees have built 'Swami Samadhi Mandir' a panoramic construction
on a very beautiful Landscap. The serenity, cleanliness, discipline
at the place is ideal and laudable. The administration is looked
after by Swami Swaroopanand Seva Mandal. The Mandal has made available
all the literature by Swami at a nominal price.
The period during 1938 to 1974 Swami dwelled in Anant Niwas, house
owned by Shri Desai Ambewale, a place of remembrance where all the
things used by Swami have been kept and maintained.
The Mandal has made available, Swaroopashram and Bhaktniwas, both
lodging and boarding free of cost, to the devotees.
In the village of Pawas, by the side of the river temples of Vishweshwar
and Someshwar are situated. Near the temple, Sadhakniwas, a separate
building is made available for the devotees coming for, meditation.
This place is serene and calm, free from worldly atmosphere. In
the noon from 11.00 am to 1.00 pm, the devotees coming to worship
at Samadhi Mandir, are distributed 'Khichadi' as a prasad.
On full noon day in the month 'Ashadh' Vyas Pournima and on the
date of birth of Swami festival is organised on a massive scale.
Pawas has become a very ideal place of pilgrimage. Every half an
hour, ST bus from Ratnagiri reaches Pawas.